Sunday, October 11, 2009

Do Not Put Me in a Box!

Yes, I am African American, but that does NOT define who I am! Just because I am black doesn't mean I drink sweet tea, play certain sports, or listen to certain music. News flash sweet tea is a Southern thing not a black thing, and I haven't really listened to a rap song since the 90s . Random people come to my face "spitting" lyrics like I know the next line - Eight out of ten of the times I don't.

I went to the Barber Shop the other day to get a haircut. I wore a Carolina shirt and a pair cargo pants with my Carolina blue Jordan's. This man saw me, and the first thing he said to me was, "Are you on the football team?" I said, "No." Then he asked, "What about the basketball team?" I said, "No." Then, he said if I played any sports. And again, he received the same answer. Do we leave in a society were people are judged by their physical appearance and not their works?

Our color does not define who we are. As a people, we all have differences and similarities, and this transcends beyond race - Do not put me in a box!

5 comments:

  1. Chavez,
    You should be a football player;)
    JK- However, people stereotype so much! I have been asked why do I not know how to salsa since I am Hispanic? As much as I wish I knew how to, I am pretty sure that not every Hispanic knows how to salsa. I wish people understood that better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your too short to be a basketball player:) jk. But I love your title and the message. Don't Put me in a Box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take it as a comment if I someone looked at me and immediately thought of me as an athlete... but then again he didn't ask you if you played soccer or tennis. I don't know about other sports, but I am surprised by the diversity of the intercolegiate equestrain teams (although not UNCs). Equestrian sports, having originated in Europe, are predominately white and mostly women at the lower levels but there are several men and african americans in IHSA, and even one black guy who may be one of the best riders I have seen competing at my level... he wins every single class he enters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice title! It definitely got my attention. I understand your frustration with the way people stereotype people based on their color, style of clothing, or their appearance. In a perfect world people would not judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete